As a fast-growing sector, competition in accounting becomes stiff with both highly experienced professionals and college graduates applying for desired jobs. Even if your resume ends up getting picked by a respected prospective employer, what gets you qualified is how well you crack an Accounting Interview and present yourself apart from the rest.
If you wish to create that wow factor against the hiring manager, you need to know certain tips which are very well efficient that will help you land the desired dream job you hope to make a career in. You do not need to worry if you have no tips or tricks to implement on.
Below are the 5 effective tips which will give you the right idea on how you can prepare for an interview:
1. Know Your “What” & “Why” – What is your reason for pursuing the Accounting Field? Why do you want to be an Accountant? Most of the interviewers tend to ask this as the first question. Depending on the question asked, your answer will decide and set the tone throughout the entire interview session. Formulate an answer ahead of time and be prepared to elaborate on your goals, hobbies, and interests which guided you to follow accounting as your career choice. The employer just wants to know what particular thing interests you about this field.
2. Polish Your Basics – Some of the fundamental accounting questions for interview asked, involve:
1) Do you think there is any difference between inactive and dormant accounts?
2) How can you define departmental accounting?
3) How can you explain the basic accounting equation?
An interviewer can question you on these basic concepts of accounting to measure your knowledge. It is best to be ready beforehand with verbal answers even if you know the in and out of the material.
3. Design Stories – Every interviewee requires to convey a story about the time they resolved or dealt with dissatisfied customers and technical issues. These queries are planned to evaluate your attention to detail and communication, how calm are you under work pressure, and additional interchangeable skills. Always have a handful of stories prepared so that you do not continue with an awkward silence when you imagine.
4. Emphasize Your Value – How are you different from other interviewee’s and what sets you apart? Know what unique qualities do you possess and try to highlight them during your interview. It can be anything, whether you are experienced with your employer’s client industry or you have the skills and knowledge required to utilize their software. Perhaps, you own superb communicational skills that achieve your systematic work with other divisions.
5. Have Confidence – Always look confident and relaxed in an interview. Your resume specifies all the points from your experience to educational background. Stop worrying about what questions your interviewer may ask, instead prepare different stories and polish up your accounting knowledge and attend the interview with a positive attitude knowing that you have what it takes.
Hope that these tips benefit you to have a successful interview. All the best!