How to Build a Career as a Bank Assistant Manager Job Role and Salary
The bank assistant manager helps and as the name suggests assists the bank manager to ensure that all the daily processes and services a bank offers run smoothly. The Assistant Bank manager assists the Bank Manager in directing and managing the tellers’ and loan officers and assigning them their daily or weekly tasks and assessing their work. The job responsibilities of an Assitant Bank manager are almost identical to that of a bank manager or a bank branch manager and are 2nd in command in the bank office hierarchy only after the Bank Manager.
The Job of a Bank Assistant Manager is very lucrative as it is an administration level role and the banking and finance sector is also booming. With many reforms in banking and finance systems, there is a lot of career potential in the banking and finance industry.
Do You Want to be a Bank Assistant Manager?
To build a career as a Bank Assistant Manager you need to first understand the Job profile and responsibility of the job
This blog gives you a detailed idea of what it is to become a Bank Assistant Manager in the Banking Industry of India.
What is a Bank Assistant Manager’s Job Description?
A bank assistant manager is just as responsible as the bank manager in overseeing the day to day workflow of a bank and the overall success or failure a bank faces. He is responsible for assisting the bank manager in training all the bank employees and supervising to see if they do their job well. Part of the job responsibility includes budgeting the bank’s expenses and helping create a fool-proof daily routine that the employees can follow for max productivity.
The Bank Assistant Manager is required to sets targets and goals for the bank branch by bringing in new customers and in turn boosting the bank branch’s profits. The Bank Assistant Manager also needs to deal with customer complaints, create and analyze management information and reports for top management, as well as work closely with development agencies and local chambers of commerce. They need to be good forecasters of the economy to help the Bank Manager set good interest prices and loan offers and They need to assist the bank manager to develop financial objectives and business plans accordingly.
Bank Assistant Manager Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee all operational aspects including distribution operations, human resources, customer service, and sales & administration.
- Analyze local market conditions and identify current and future sales opportunities
- Create financial objectives and business plans based on the forecast
- Work towards meeting and fulfilling the organisational goals
- Oversee budget and allocate funds Accordingly
- Bring out the best of the branch’s Employees by providing training, coaching, development and motivation
- Locate areas that need improvement and provide corrective actions that meet challenges and leverage the growth of the organisation
- Have Meetings with other branches and headquarters on effective practices, competitive intelligence, business opportunities and needs.
- Look after customer and employee satisfaction
- Maintain high ethical standards, and comply with all regulations and applicable laws of not just the organisation but also of the country
- Network to improve the presence and reputation of the bank’s branch in the eyes of the customers
- Stay ahead of competing markets and provide reports on market movement and penetration
The Bank Assistant Manager requires to have a Three year college degree with majoring in business, banking or finance preferred, such as a Bachelor of Commerce (B Com), Bachelor of Business Administration in finance (BBA Finance), Bachelor of Banking and Insurance (BBI) etc.
If you want to have a good chance of working in a reputed organisation, A master’s degree is recommendable, such as a Master of Commerce (M. Com) or MBA in Banking and Finance, etc, However, it is important that the Assistant Manager has two years of working for an entry-level job inside the bank.
Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Leadership skills:
The Bank Assistant Manager is in charge of the Employees of the bank branch second only to the Bank Manager. All the other people working in that particular branch look up to the Assistant manager. Strong leadership qualities are a must for this job role. All the other staff working in that particular branch look up to the Branch Manager and Bank assistant manager for guidance
2. Multi-tasking Skills:
The Bank Assistant manager has to make plans, set goals, handle day to day work, oversee the employees and make sure all the customers are getting the best possible treatment. There is more to the job of a branch Assistant than these, hence, they need to be highly efficient in multi-tasking.
3. Problem-solving Skills:
The Branch Assistant has to oversee all the day to day work of the Bank Branch as well as ensure customer satisfaction. There can be many problems that arise in a bank such as, if the ATM machines are not working, the transaction websites are down, etc. The Branch Assistant must be ready for any situation and be able to solve the problems as easily as possible.
4. Ability to be Goal-oriented:
It is the responsibility of the Assistant Manager to make sure that the organisation is making profits and following through with its plans. The Assistant Manager must be Goal Oriented to achieve the revenue target of the organisation.
Work Environment and Schedule
The Timing of their job depends upon the bank they are working for, They typically from nine to five or during banking hours. Some Banks may even need their employees to work on Saturday mornings.
The Bank Assistant manager mostly has a private air-conditioned office to work from and the work scene revolves around conference meetings with customers and clients as well as top management.
How much is the scope for Earnings?
The Average Salary for a Bank Branch Manager in India can range somewhere between 6 Lakh to 8 lakh INR per annum.
- Assess local market conditions: The Assistant Manager has to assist the branch manager to analyse the local economy in order to identify current and prospective sales opportunities
- Locate areas of improvement: They need to find out which department is lacking behind and help them grow and help the entire organisation in the process.
- Be a leader: The Assistant Manager is the head of that branch 2nd only to the branch manager hence responsible for all the daily work, maintaining customer and employee satisfaction, and upholding regulations.
- Customer Lifetime Value: CLV is the measure of how much value the customer can bring to the Bank for as long as that person or account remains a client
- Productivity: Under the Bank Assistant manager, the entire banking operations of the branch should be smooth. The branch must be profitable and get most of the work done efficiently.
- Budget and Cost management: Keeping costs low and under the budget is one of the key job roles of the manager and the assistant manager must help the manager not do any unnecessary spendings that will make a budget deficit.
- Customer Satisfaction: One of the Performance Indicators is that the customers the Assistant manager serves should be satisfied with the services that they get.
Being the bank assistant manager is the stepping stone toward being the bank manager, mostly the assistant manager is promoted to the job of bank manager after the current manager steps down. It is a high paying job and if you have a talent for accounting, banking, management, sales and finances, it could prove to be a highly lucrative career option for you.